The Indonesian presidential election campaigns are well underway, with some 187.1 million Indonesians going to the polls in April 2019. The current state of play suggests that President Joko Widodo will likely win another term, but does this mean that it will be business as usual for foreign investors and businesses, or are changes still to be expected? From regulatory connections to social strategy, the business landscape has transformed, and so should investors’ mindset.
Join Control Risks’ Achmad Sukarsono and Edward Blenk as they give an overview of the political environment and state of the presidential elections in Indonesia, as well as share some of the pertinent questions that foreign investors today should be asking when investing in one of the fastest growing economies in Southeast Asia.
2:30PM Registration & Networking / Light Bites
3:00PM Sharing Session
5:00PM Networking continues
Edward Blenk, Associate Director
Based in Singapore, Edward is a senior investigator who has worked on hundreds of business intelligence, due diligence and problem-solving investigations across South-East Asia, covering dozens of sectors. Edward has been involved in numerous projects in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam. His recent projects in Indonesia include:
- An investigative partner assessment of a politically entrenched Indonesian property company facing serious bribery allegations
- A detailed competitor analysis in the tech sector in Indonesia, focused on understanding and comparing the stakeholder engagement strategy, commercial strategy and political / social strategy of key competitors
- A threat assessment in the automotive sector focused on an existing local partner’s likely intent and capability to cause harm following a planned disengagement by the Client following decades of strategic collaboration
Edward holds an MBA from Cass Business School in London, and a BA in English Literature from Durham University in the UK. In addition, he holds an Indonesian language advanced proficiency certificate from Satya Wacana Christian University in Central Java, Indonesia.
Achmad Sukarsono, Senior Analyst
Achmad Sukarsono is based in Control Risks’ Singapore office and provides analysis on Indonesia and Malaysia for Control Risks’ CORE service, as well as more in-depth, bespoke consultancy support. Recent projects he has worked on include:
- A comprehensive political and social risks report on Indonesia’s remote province of Papua for an extractive multinational company.
- Detailed weekly monitoring of political and regulatory developments in Indonesia’s mining sector for a leading international mining company.
- Research and analysis of legislative developments related to the Indonesian telecommunications sector.
- A threat assessment of aviation facilities in Indonesia for an international airline.
- On-the-ground research and analysis of local political factors that affect the trial of a Global100 employee in a remote province in eastern Indonesia.
- Analysis of local politics in six different cities across Indonesia for the launching of a ground-breaking health initiative.
Achmad holds a Master of Arts degree in Global and Comparative Politics from Queen Mary University of London and a Bachelor of Social Sciences degree in International Relations from the University of Indonesia, where he joined the 1998 student movement that helped overthrow the Suharto authoritarian regime.
DRESS CODE: BUSINESS ATTIRE
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: 8 MARCH 2019 (FRI)
Note: Seat is subject to confirmation after registration at SVCA's discretion.
We regret that we are unable to refund you once your registration is confirmed. Please send a replacement if there are any last minute changes to your schedule and inform us at least 2 working days prior. A no-show fee equivalent to the registration fee will be imposed for those who have registered but payment not received by us. SVCA Full Corporate Members are applicable for the complimentary seat with the provision that membership fees have been paid prior in full. SVCA Associate Members are applicable for the member's rate with the provision that membership fees have been paid prior in full. Please note that information collected may be shared with 3rd parties such as partners and/ or sponsors. SVCA may (at its sole discretion) change the format, speakers, participants, content, venue location and programme or any other aspect of the event at any time and for any reason, whether or not due to a Force Majeure Event, in each case without liability. Thank you for your co-operation.