In the first of an exclusive series of One-on-One interviews, emerging market guru Mark Mobius will share his views on how COVID-19 will impact markets, and how the ‘new cold war’ could affect investments into Southeast Asia and elsewhere.
Dr Mobius blogs: as someone once said: “This time is different’ are the most expensive words in the world.” Human behavior tends to follow predictable patterns because of built-in emotions that make us human. So, what can we learn from history that will enable us to make better investment decisions in times of crisis?
Sign up to hear from him LIVE on May 26, at 4PM SGT.
Dr. Mark Mobius is seen by many as the founder of the emerging markets asset class. He has a reputation as one of the most successful and influential managers over last 30 years. In May 2018, with two ex-colleagues, he launched Mobius Capital Partners. The firm utilises a highly specialised active investment approach with an emphasis on improving governance standards in Emerging and Frontier Market companies. Prior to this, Dr. Mobius was employed at Franklin Templeton Investments for more than 30 years, most recently as Executive Chairman of the Templeton Emerging Markets Group. During his tenure, the group expanded AUM from USD 100m to over USD 40bn and launched a number of emerging market and frontier funds focusing on Asia, Latin America, Africa and Eastern Europe. His career and influence has earned him numerous industry awards.
Dr. Mobius received his Ph.D. at MIT and has studied at Boston University, University of Wisconsin, Syracuse University, Kyoto University and the University of New Mexico. Dr. Mobius is a member of the Economic Advisory Board of the International Finance Corporation (IFC). Since 2010 he has also served as a member of the supervisory board of OMV Petrom in Romania, and was previously a Director on the Board of Lukoil, the Russian oil company.
A prolific writer, Dr. Mobius is the author of books translated into several languages:
• Invest for Good (with co-authors Carlos Hardenberg and Greg Konieczny, 2019)
• The Little Book of Emerging Markets (2012)
• Bonds - An Introduction to the Core Concepts (2012)
• Foreign Exchange - An Introduction to the Core Concepts (2009)
• Mark Mobius - An Illustrated Biography (2007)
• Mutual Funds: An Introduction To The Core Concepts (2007)
• Equities: An Introduction To The Core Concepts (2007)
• Passport to Profits (1999/2012)
• Mobius on Emerging Markets (1996)
• The Investor's Guide to Emerging Markets (1994)
• Trading with China (1973)
Mobius is a recognised global emerging markets expert, appearing frequently in the media including global networks Bloomberg, CNBC, MSNBC, and CNN and has received numerous industry awards, including:
• Life Time Achievement Award in Asset Management (2017) Global Investor Magazine
• 50 Most Influential People (2011) Bloomberg Markets Magazine
• Africa Investor Index Series Awards (2010) African Investor
• Top 100 Most Powerful and Influential People (2006) Asiamoney
• Emerging Markets Equity Manager of the Year (2001) International Money Marketing
• Ten Top Money Managers of the 20th Century (1999) Carson Group survey
• Number One Global Emerging Market Fund (1998) Reuters Survey
• First in Business Money Manager of the Year (1994) CNBC
• Closed-End Fund Manager of the Year (1993) Morningstar
• Investment Trust Manager of the Year (1992) Sunday Telegraph
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: 25 MAY 2020 (MON)
OPEN TO SVCA MEMBERS ONLY
We regret that we are unable to refund you once your registration is confirmed. Please send a replacement if there are any last minute changes to your schedule and inform us at least 2 working days prior. A no-show fee equivalent to the registration fee will be imposed for those who have registered but payment not received by us. SVCA Full Corporate Members are applicable for the complimentary/ member's rate seat with the provision that membership fees have been paid prior in full. SVCA Associate Members are applicable for the member's rate with the provision that membership fees have been paid prior in full. Please note that information collected may be shared with 3rd parties such as partners and/ or sponsors. SVCA may (at its sole discretion) change the format, speakers, participants, content, venue location and programme or any other aspect of the event at any time and for any reason, whether or not due to a Force Majeure Event, in each case without liability. Photos and videos may be taken of the event for marketing purposes. Thank you for your co-operation.